Congratulations on your engagement!
We are very excited for you! While the coming months will be very busy with wedding planning and preparations, it is equally important to be preparing your relationship for a healthy and God honoring marriage. It is our goal at Calvary to help you prepare for a successful marriage that glorifies God.
Beliefs Guiding Marriage in the Church
We believe that marriage was instituted by God and is subject to the guidelines of Scripture. We believe that God’s desire for marriage is that it be a committed relationship to be terminated only by the death of one of the spouses.
We also believe that the marriage relationship is to be modeled after the relationship between Christ and the church.
Believing that marriage is a holy and sacred gift from God between a man and a woman, it is our desire that couples approach marriage according to biblical standards and in a way that is pleasing to God. In this regard, we ask all couples to agree to the CALVARY ENGAGEMENT COVENANT as a sign of commitment to one another and to God as they prepare for marriage.
Marriage Preparation Process
1) We will gladly officiate weddings of members at Calvary Fellowship, as set out herein.
2) All couples are to submit a Calvary Request to Officiate Wedding to request a wedding date and location and to request a pastor to officiate the ceremony.
3) All couples are to read and discuss the CALVARY ENGAGEMENT COVENANT to determine whether they are ready to make this commitment to one another and to God as they prepare for marriage. You will be asked to sign and agree to the Engagement Covenant at your first premarital counseling session.
4) All couples are required to participate in premarital counseling with a biblical counselor. We use the PREPARE-ENRICH relationship assessment (https://www.prepare-enrich.com), whereby the couples complete an online profile assessment and work through important aspects of marriage highlighted by the assessment. Premarital counseling should begin 4-6 months before the wedding date. There are typically 5-6 sessions scheduled every other week, so it will require 3 months to complete the premarital counseling process.
5) The couple will receive notice of the pastor who is available to officiate their wedding. The couple will contact the pastor directly to schedule a meeting 4-6 weeks before the wedding to discuss details of the ceremony. No meeting can take place with the officiating pastor until completion (or near completion) of premarital counseling.
Pastor – Honorarium paid directly to the pastor
Travel/Lodging expenses – Paid directly to the pastor, if appropriate
Premarital Counseling – No fee for counseling services, approximately $75 for materials and resources.
Please email our Calvary Care Ministry if you have any questions about our getting married at Calvary.
When I have learnt to love God better than my earthly dearest, I shall love my earthly dearest better than I do now.C.S. Lewis